Author Topic: When do they stop growing ?  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Vince

• Confirmed Ridgeback Addict
  • Biscuits: 95
When do they stop growing ?
« on: September 05, 2009, 08:15 AM »
I've heard 12 months to 18 months. Kona's 73 lbs. and between 24 and 25 inches high @ 11 months. I can't get her exact height because she thinks the ruler is a toy  >:(. I guess it varies by individual dogs but I was curious what you all have experienced. Here's a pretty recent photo:

Offline melissap

• RAA Gold Member
  • Biscuits: 204
Re: When do they stop growing ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:57 AM »
It depends on the line, and your breeder may have more specific information on how her parents and previous generations developed.

That said, her height is most likely where it will be. Her weight may change slightly. She is likely still developing/maturing but these changes may be more subtle :) until she is 2 years old!

Kona is a pretty girl! I stand the dogs up against a wall and use a yard stick to mark their height, you may want to try that  ;)

Melissa
Melissa Peterson

Offline Karlski

• Ridgeback Fan
  • Biscuits: 8
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:37 PM »
My dog Dayo is about 27" and weighs around 70lbs now(haven't weighed him in a while) and is 6 months old. I don't really expect him to get any taller and to gain around another 15-20lbs by the time he is an adult. My breeder tells him he will be like 3 years old until he is fully mature.
Trumphill's The X Factor

Kyle

Offline kitoyogi

• Member of RAA
  • Biscuits: 98
  • Why walk when you can bounce?
    • Kito Rhodesian Ridgebacks
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:50 PM »
I've heard 12 months to 18 months. Kona's 73 lbs. and between 24 and 25 inches high @ 11 months. I can't get her exact height because she thinks the ruler is a toy 

Get a pencil and use it to mark her height on your pants/leg and then measure that mark.  That is how I used to measure mine.  : )

At this stage, Kona will likely just fill out.  It does vary by line.  Xhabbo had finished most of her growth by 8 months old.  She probably gained another 1/2" by the time she was 13 months old and pretty much filled out/matured since then with her height and weight not changing much, if at all.
MaryAnne Draper
www.kitoridgebacks.com