Author Topic: Eating Tree twigs, branches and bark  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Safi

• Board Steward
  • Confirmed Ridgeback Addict
  • Biscuits: 38
Eating Tree twigs, branches and bark
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Sooooo .. Safi has been doing this for as long as I can remember and I have tried to get her to stop/drop it/pry it out of her mouth when I can. It has become a big game to her now and she will keep her distance from me until she has chewed it up and eaten it. It doesnt seem to have hurt her as she will occasionally have funny looking poops or will regurgitate a small pile of wood chunks and bile (last night she did that at 3am on our nice wool rug) Usually the horking up happens only every 2-3 months.
I notice quite a few other dogs do it as well .. any insight on this? I keep thinking of buzzards who eat pebbles to help digestion :P Also kind of wondering if she is just getting hungry on the walks she is doing this on. Thankfully she doesnt go for the hardwoods.

At least she didnt keep up her puppy habit of eating pebbles

Steve
Steve - Ottawa ON Canada

Safi          - 5yr old female RR (With HypoThyroid)
Makumba - 2yr old male RR

Offline Ari_RR

• Biscuits: 41
    • Ari's website
Re: Eating Tree twigs, branches and bark
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Same here.. But, at 16 months old, Ari Does this much less then he used to. It's now an exception rather then the rule. When he goes after a stick - I don't try to wrestle it from him, it's his now and his protective of his stick, so I try to lure him away.. Get him to chase me, for example.

But I also noticed this. We often go to nature parks for walk - trails, trees, lots of sticks to eat..  And we also go to the woods behind the back yard - a quick toilet trip early morning or late evening. So, when on the trail in a park - he never goes after sticks. Totally consumed by chasing different scents around.  But he does that sometimes in the woods behind the backyard... Which leads me to think that when he tries to eat a stick - it's out of boredom, more then anything else....
Eugene

Offline Safi

• Board Steward
  • Biscuits: 38
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:17 PM »
I would have guessed at boredom as well, but she has actually stopped playing with another dog long enough to munch a twig down and then resume play. Walking through the dog park today it looks like wood eating is pretty common in several dogs there. The only real damage she has done to herself so far has been a chunk of wood lodged between two molars near the gum line which I removed with a pair of tweezers.

Steve
Steve - Ottawa ON Canada

Safi          - 5yr old female RR (With HypoThyroid)
Makumba - 2yr old male RR

Offline rrbylexus

• Kennel Manager
  • Biscuits: 136
    • Ridgebacks by Lexess
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:30 PM »
I chalk it up to dogs just being dogs.

Pam

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Pam Mathews
Ridgebacks by Lexess

Offline heiditr

• Board Steward
  • Potential Ridgeback Addict
  • Biscuits: 48
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:30 AM »
Steve, that sounds like Nia  :) However she is quite fond of grass and plants too. She even has a favorite which she eats whenever she can find it. Luckily, she never eats to much, so no throwing up during the night.
Also, we have a patch of dirt in the yard that all dogs eat from. Even visiting dogs stop to eat. It must be something really good tasting minerals in it  ;D
As Pam said; dogs are dogs  ;D
Shangaza's C Another Spellmaker -Stitch
Kangelani's Kuwa Nia -Nia

Offline TDprange

• Potential Ridgeback Addict
  • Biscuits: 16
    • Lucy the Ridgeback
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Mine like to chew on sticks and bark. However, I have never seen her actually eat any of it.

Trent

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Trent Prange
BIF DC Ancient Hill Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, SC, FCh, HIC

Offline banshee

• Ridgeback Novice
  • Biscuits: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Molly loves to chew on everything, she even loves to chew on rocks

Offline Ari_RR

• Biscuits: 41
    • Ari's website
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 04:55 AM »
I would discourage chewing on rocks as it might damage teeth. I would offer something more suitable for chewing to her..
Eugene

Offline caro

• Kennel Manager
  • RAA Gold Member
  • Biscuits: 218
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:54 AM »
Rocks can be dangerous as the chewing can lead to swallowing and a tummy full of rocks is not good.
Caroline

Offline banshee

• Ridgeback Novice
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:26 PM »
I take the rocks away from her when I catch her with them. She has many, many things to chew on.

Offline daisysmom

• Ridgeback Novice
  • Pronking Along :)
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 07:31 PM »
I've had numerous issues with eating wood with my Daisy- she just seems to like eating it, and also will pull up and eat grass and weeds in the morning and afternoon, even though we feed her well. She gnaws on anything and everything if you let her. Her favorite thing to chew on now is a woven basket I keep her toys in, that I don't mind her demolishing. Since we give her so many things she likes to chew, she hasn't touched any of our wooden furniture.

The only time this has actually been a life threatening problem is when she ate a two cinnamon pine cones that hit the floor behind our couch when we took down our Christmas decorations. They seemed to give her a tummy ache and she didn't eat for a day and a night. We called our vet and he said the cinnamon oil on the cones is toxic to dogs, and since she was still drinking water and not feeling too bad to go ahead and let her ride it out, since she must not have gotten a bad dose. She started eating again the next morning as if nothing had happened. Must have been one booger of a tummy ache.

*note* BEST TOY EVER- 2 liter plastic pop bottle (supervise this of course) but she loves to smash them flat and will fetch them like a ball :)

~Heather D.